Surviving Bikram Yoga: Days 32-34 and the change of season

Last week was a bust for my plan to go 6 days in a row.  Pollen came out in full force early in the week and I was miserable on Wednesday and Thursday.  I hate this time of year!  Every year it’s different with my symptoms.  Some years it’s itchy, watery eyes.  Some years it’s the stuffy nose.  Last year, my ears itched like crazy.  This year is the year of the sinus headache. I learned my lesson on going to yoga with a headache a few weeks ago.  If it’s a general stress headache or a mild sinus headache, I’ll go to class.  But if I’m feeling like my head is in a vice, I won’t go.  So I didn’t go Wednesday or Thursday, which really bummed me because I wanted to see Stroud.

To make up for it, I decided to do a double class on Friday.  This is when you go two times in one day.  Crazy, it sounds, yes.  (that sounded like Yoda)

But it’s actually not that bad when you do it first thing and last thing.  I can’t believe I did this, but I actually got up for a 5:30am class.  I was up at the studio right around 5:10am and ready to go.  I was pleased to see that there were a few die hard people there with me and we had a great practice with Aimee.  I had the day off, so I went home, made a green juice for breakfast and worked on grading papers.  I had a carrot/beet juice for lunch to make sure I was really hydrated and headed out for a 5pm class.  When I got to the studio, Aimee said, “didn’t I see you this morning?”  Becka was there too and she was excited that I was giving a double a try.  12 hours between classes isn’t much different than me doing a 7pm class and then doing an 8 am class the next morning. I commented that I felt really good and hoped not to fall out after the first water break.

To my surprise, I did really well! I only sat down for one set of a posture because my hip felt like it was spasming.  I am finding that in some postures, I tend to dump my weight into the back of my leg instead of focusing on the front of my foot.  Aimee has been cuing that a lot in class lately, which makes sense.

After class, I fist pumped my way out of the studio and headed home.  Kevin and I met up with some friends for Mexican, and I drank a lot of water instead of a margarita and had some fresh guacamole for dinner.  I enjoyed the chips without any guilt and picked a little at Kevin’s fajitas.  I knew I had another class at 8am the next morning.

Saturday morning, I headed into the studio for another class with Aimee.  I was surprised when Becka set up her mat right in front of me.  I’ve practiced with everyone in the room except Stroud and Becka, so it was a treat to see her practice.  It was a good class with a lot of good energy.  The room was really full with new people, including a guy behind me who insisted on wearing a baseball hat the whole time.  It was really weird. I just wanted to tell him to take it off because he’d be a lot more comfortable.  Only two people tried to run out of the room this time, so the newbies did really well compared to past weeks. I think sometimes having a really full room makes people work harder.

Yesterday I woke up with full intentions on going to class but Kevin and I had a TON of work to do in the garage.  It was one of those days where we were out running errands first thing (Dollar Tree for newspapers, Costco, then Sams Club, then grocery store).  Costco has my coconut water and my green apples, Sams has our other fruits and  veggies, and then the grocery store has my kale and Kevin’s almond milk.  We got it all done, despite the crazy church traffic by lunch and set up the crock pot for our weekly lunch.  Then, we got to the garage and worked at it until nightfall.  Thank goodness the days are getting longer because we really needed the extra time.  While Kevin was moving things around, I started working on the winter clothes packing and unpacking of summer clothes.

Changing clothes around is one of my least favorite time of the year.  It’s a total fiasco.  In addition, I run laundry for about a week straight because I can’t unpack a Rubbermaid and just hang things up.  I have to wash everything, even though I know it’s clean.  It’s just a weird thing I do.

For the summer clothes, my Type A personality comes out in full effect.  I arrange Kevin’s casual shirts (he keeps those in our room and then uses the front bedroom to hang his work shirts and pants year round) by color.  Yes, by color.  It’s a little extreme, but so is his shorts collection and I find he does better when I rainbow his shirts in the summer.  He continues to have 500% more clothing than I do.

Then, I go after the swimsuit drawer.  I like to have everything neatly folded and ready to go.  I double check all of my suits to make sure there isn’t any frayed edges anywhere and put all of my bikinis in ziplock bags so I don’t get strings everywhere.  As I do every year, I hold them up, think about  how I’d love to wear one someday, and put them in the drawer.  I own three bikinis and have never worn them once.  Maybe this year will be my year.

Then, I start up the laundry.  I’m home today because this garage/yard adventure yesterday has left me looking like a boxer today with swollen eyes and puffy cheeks.  I don’t know what I got into.  It’s a little bit of a blessing in disguise because I’m going to be out traveling for the majority of next week so I need the time to work on laundry today.

There are piles everywhere in the house of clothes to be washed.  All of the winter clothes are packed away, Rubbermaids are labeled, and they are in the garage.  So I start working on the piles.  There’s the huge piles of t-shirts.  My shorts are already washed and in the drawer.  Kevin has a pile of shorts to try on since he shrunk out of all of his jeans this winter.  I have a pile of dresses.  A pile of work clothes for me.  Piles of swimsuit coverups and tanks.  A pile of spring/summer weight pajamas.

It’s neverending.  Makes me wonder if other people do this too and we all suffer in silence?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s